by The Philippine Star
MANILA, Philippines — Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) is looking at other options to conduct a competitive selection process (CSP) for the 1,200-megawatt (MW) greenfield capacity as face-to-face meetings are highly discouraged due to the enhanced community quarantine in Luzon.
Meralco was supposed to launch its CSP for 1,200-MW greenfield capacity this month, but the bidding process was hampered by the imposition of the 30-day community quarantine in Metro Manila on March 15 to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19. An enhanced community quarantine was then implemented in the whole island of Luzon after two days.
Amid the enhanced community quarantine, Meralco head of utility economics Lawrence Fernandez said the power distributor is evaluating how to proceed with the competitive bidding.
“We are walking through the CSP guidelines of the DOE to evaluate the steps that previously entailed face-to-face interactions, including but not limited to the conduct of a pre-bid conference and the submission/opening of bids,” he said.
“We will then study alternatives that would eliminate or minimize face-to-face interactions and seek guidance from the DOE if these will still be compliant with the CSP guidelines,” Fernandez said.